our story

We welcomed our second daughter Annabelle on February 18, 2012, a week before her due date. That same day, the pediatrician felt a click in her right hip ...

... it was never felt again. An x-ray the same day showed nothing, so we weren't too concerned. We had a follow-up ultrasound when she was 6 weeks old, and it showed that *BOTH* of her hips are dislocated. (a condition called Develomental Dysplasia of the Hip or DDH)

Friday, June 1, 2012

adios, turtle shell!

I have started affectionately referring to the Rhino cruiser as Annabelle's turtle shell. In fact, the next one she has, I think I will design to look like a turtle shell --- it sure feels like one.

I emailed Dr Olney's nurse last night. We hadn't thought to ask if Annabelle needed to stay in her Rhino prior to surgery. We assumed she did, but after thinking, we wondered if a couple days out of it would make any difference. We're both longing so much for some cuddly snuggles with our tiny princess. She's been in some form of brace for 8 weeks now. She's 15 weeks old. That's more than half her life.

I got a response back early this morning saying we could be brace free! Yippee! She went to school today without her brace (I had to work). Coming home tonight, it was a bit odd to hold her. She seemed so ... floppy. Like a baby. I'm used to a baby that doesn't bend, doesn't mold, doesn't contour into me when snuggling. It was nice beyond words, but a little strange, to be honest.

I did put her into her brace for sleeping tonight. Even though we can be brace free for a couple days ... I still want to baby that healing left hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment