our story

We welcomed our second daughter Annabelle on February 18, 2012, a week before her due date. That same day, the pediatrician felt a click in her right hip ...

... it was never felt again. An x-ray the same day showed nothing, so we weren't too concerned. We had a follow-up ultrasound when she was 6 weeks old, and it showed that *BOTH* of her hips are dislocated. (a condition called Develomental Dysplasia of the Hip or DDH)

Monday, October 1, 2012

102.2

102.2

Not a radio station.

Yesterday morning when Annabelle woke she felt hot.  I took her temp and it was 101.8.  A dose of Motrin, it came down to 99.8 and she was her happy little self until around 5pm when her fever spiked again.  We gave her another dose of Motrin and the fever was back up to 101.8 at 8pm.  A dose of Tylenol and she was good until the morning.  She felt super hot when she woke this morning, and her temp was 102.2
I was worried all night last night because I didn't want anything to have to delay her surgery.  I called the pediatrician as soon as the office opened and she saw Dr Lively at 11:30.  It was oddly comforting, because his daughter also had hip dysplasia, although I'm not sure if she had to have surgery or not. 
He couldn't find a cause for Annabelle's high fever, which was a bit frustrating - I was thinking maybe she had an ear infection or something.  He said it could be viral, could be a UTI.  But nothing obvious.  So, we had to collect a urine sample and he sent her off for some lab work.  We're back home now and she's acting a bit more like herself.
More comforting, he reassured me that if for some reason her surgery is delayed due to this (unknown) illness, it's for her health and safety, because the anesthesiologist will want her as healthy as possible prior to intubation - which makes perfect sense.  I don't want to send a sick baby into surgery.  I'm just so anxious already knowing her surgery is one week away, the prospect of having it delayed and having to wait longer is frustrating. 
I'll do what's best for my baby girl though, that's my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment