our story

We welcomed our second daughter Annabelle on February 18, 2012, a week before her due date. That same day, the pediatrician felt a click in her right hip ...

... it was never felt again. An x-ray the same day showed nothing, so we weren't too concerned. We had a follow-up ultrasound when she was 6 weeks old, and it showed that *BOTH* of her hips are dislocated. (a condition called Develomental Dysplasia of the Hip or DDH)

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Babywearing with the Pavlik Harness

Part of my upset about the PH has been that Annabelle has not tolerated being worn since she got her harness. In the seven weeks of her life before she she got it, she traded between my ring sling, Ergo and moby wrap - depending on the situation, and which carrier was closest. I have a mei tai also, but I was waiting to use it until she was older, so she could better tolerate the positioning.

I love babywearing. I loved it with Charlotte, and wished I had done it more with her. But, now it was seeming like a foreign possibility. I want to be able to go out and do things with her in a carrier, and this was looking like it just wouldn't happen while she has her PH.

I had tried the Ergo and Mei Tai both, as both those carriers by nature support healthy hip positioning. No awful crotch dangling like in Baby Bjorn style carriers.
Annabelle hated the carriers. Time and time again I tried with no luck. I was so sad - not only could I not bathe my baby and snuggle her with skin to skin afterwards - I can't truly snuggle her like I'd like to, because she doesn't bend that way anymore - but now, I can't wear her?

After googling today to see what other moms might have encountered. I realized I hadn't tried the Moby yet. I tried at the next possible opportunity. She wasn't happy, but that was more a case of hungry baby rather than uncomfortable baby. I fed her, and tried again. She slept, I snuggled, she snuggled, I cried. I finally got that moment back that I was missing and longing for.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this post! My almost 3 week old has been in her harness since day 3 (for the next 3 months, 24/7) and I've been researching carriers without much luck. I've had the same feelings of sadness re: skin to skin and bathing....This looks perfect. How is your little bundle doing now?

    ReplyDelete