our story

We welcomed our second daughter Annabelle on February 18, 2012, a week before her due date. That same day, the pediatrician felt a click in her right hip ...

... it was never felt again. An x-ray the same day showed nothing, so we weren't too concerned. We had a follow-up ultrasound when she was 6 weeks old, and it showed that *BOTH* of her hips are dislocated. (a condition called Develomental Dysplasia of the Hip or DDH)

Monday, April 9, 2012

First clothing change

Okay, my first recommendation: if your child needs a Pavlik harness ... take a onesie!!!

Annabelle was asleep when we got home - and I had a horrific headache, so we both slept for a couple hours. She woke up and needed to eat. She had been nicely warm in her carseat with a thick blanket wrapped around her, but I set out to dress my girl - how hard could it be?

There is a strap that is meant to be chest level - it had shimmied down to waist level when I was dressing her - and I couldn't get it back up. She was kicking so much and straightening her legs with resistance. I called for help from my husband (who works from home), but he wasn't able to come help at the time.
After a good solid 5 minutes of Annabelle SCREAMING (hungry girl!), I managed to get the harness back to the desired location. Poor thing just started crying a few tears so that made it even more stressful for mama. Now after a big meal, she's a happy smiling girl.

Next time, I shall feed her BEFORE attempting to change her clothes. It's no easy task anymore.

It seems as though most clothes are out of the question at this point - no pants or sleepers. We shall be sticking to onesies and dresses.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley--I am so sorry this happened to you. All of this information is wonderful...thanks for sharing it with us. We will be praying for you and your little one!--I am sure it is harder on you & James than it is for her right now.

    God Bless You ...keep updating..I will follow.

    ReplyDelete