our story

We welcomed our second daughter Annabelle on February 18, 2012, a week before her due date. That same day, the pediatrician felt a click in her right hip ...

... it was never felt again. An x-ray the same day showed nothing, so we weren't too concerned. We had a follow-up ultrasound when she was 6 weeks old, and it showed that *BOTH* of her hips are dislocated. (a condition called Develomental Dysplasia of the Hip or DDH)

Monday, April 16, 2012

It's been ... one week

Annabelle has been in her harness for a week now. I think overall, we're getting pretty used to it. It's still cumbersome to change her clothes and her diaper, but I have a much better feel for it, and what is the easiest way to do things. There is definitely a learning curve, but not a big one. Clothes are a little easier, as I have learned a sleeper and dresses can go over the harness, and I even managed a pair of pants (although I don't recommend it).

I think my biggest struggle - is the limitations on what she can be dressed in, which is a bit selfish.
I think it dates back to my days as an 8 year old, playing with dolls. You have a doll, and you get to dress her in cute little outfits. You imagine the days when you have your own baby, and you get to do the same.

We found out in October that we were having a second girl. When I was pregnant with Charlotte, we didn't find out the gender of the baby, so there wasn't much thought into clothing. After she was born, people gave us cute things, and I loved getting to dress her in them. With my pregnancy with Annabelle, I was *sure* that she was a boy, so when we found out at 19 weeks that she was a girl (and it was VERY obvious she was), it was a bit of a shock. After a couple weeks, the excitement started building. All the cute outfits and dresses I remember Charlotte wearing - my new little girl would get to wear too! I was elated. I remember looking through all of Charlotte's tiny clothes and crying ... remembering the days she wore them, what we did on those days. I would get to associate a whole new set of memories with these clothes. (I am very sentimental when it comes to things). Before Annabelle was born, I washed them all with love, folded them up neatly, and dreamed. Even better, we had a *TON* of 0-3 month size that Charlotte was never able to wear - by the time she was big enough to fit in them, the weather was too cold. But this time, my baby would be able to wear them! Outfits that had lovingly been selected for Charlotte, that she wore maybe once, would be able to be used on Annabelle.

When we came home from the orthopedic doctor last week, other than fear for my daughter's future, was sadness about the clothes. Annabelle wouldn't get to wear most of them. I dug through the drawer that night with tears rolling down my face, and separated the clothes she would be able to wear from the ones she wouldn't.

A lot of this week was filled with anger at God. Why does He have so much confidence in my ability? Why us?
Fear. What if the harness doesn't work? What if my baby has to go in a cast - or even worse: surgery. The harness has a 90-95% success rate. What does that look like for TWO dislocated hips? That still means 5-10% of babies need more intervention than just the harness. I lost sleep. I had dreams of my baby in a cast with a hole cut in the middle for a diaper area. I had dreams of her walking funny. I had dreams of kids pointing at her and laughing because she walked funny.
Frustration. I know the harness has a great success rate - I should be happy about that, right? This is minor, right? It looks minor right now. Why do I feel this way, is this normal? THIS IS MY BABY, and I'm afraid for her, no matter how minor it may seem.

4 comments:

  1. You are doing great! Hang on and trust. My friend had dislocated hips and was in the cast 32 years ago and is now one of the most beautiful and athletic women I know. They didn't have the harness then. You live in a great age of medicine to treat and should the cast come know that I see living proof it heals and they don't remember it. Always is the hardest on you. I know you know that. Praying for you!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    My little one has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia and has been using the harness now for approximately 3 weeks. She hasn't had her 2nd ultra sound to see if it is working. I asked her doctor whether wearing the harness over or under clothing was best and she said either would work. She never made mention of clothing restrictions. She's been able to wear her harness under her clothing as long as the clothing is one size bigger than normal. I'm curious, did your doctor say specific items of clothing are not recommended? I don't want to do anything that could hinder my little one's progress. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! This is our first baby and we have the cutest clothes. I cried when I realized she couldn't wear a lot of them and felt so selfish and dumb as the tears rolled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this blog! I wish I had found it a week ago when my baby got her PV on! I have shared the same feelings as you- everything from "what could I have done differently" to the selfish thoughts of all those pretty clothes she can't wear. My baby was breech- but we didn't know til I was pushing (went to the hospital and was already 10cm!). They suspected hip problems but never did they dislocate in the hospital. Said at 6 weeks she would get an ultrasound. We did and the next week went to the orthopedic doctor. She got the harness on for partial dysplasia and I was a mess. So was she. We didn't sleep for two days and cried, cried, cried. She's adjusted and so have I. Went today and found out three more weeks (hopefully).

    What a truly amazing blog! Thank you and God bless!

    ReplyDelete