our story

We welcomed our second daughter Annabelle on February 18, 2012, a week before her due date. That same day, the pediatrician felt a click in her right hip ...

... it was never felt again. An x-ray the same day showed nothing, so we weren't too concerned. We had a follow-up ultrasound when she was 6 weeks old, and it showed that *BOTH* of her hips are dislocated. (a condition called Develomental Dysplasia of the Hip or DDH)

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day Two.

Dr Olney told us that Annabelle was likely to be fussier than normal in her new Pavlik Harness. Last night was rough. She usually sleeps anywhere from 2-6 hours at night (after settling around 1am) depending on the night. Last night she had a good 1.5hr stretch followed by waking every ~15 minutes. It was almost as if she wanted to stretch out, but she couldn't.
Today she pretty well wanted to eat if she was awake. She didn't get in much sleep, and if she did - she woke up fussy after a few minutes. We played this game all morning and afternoon. She did sleep in her carseat for a couple hours over lunch - enough time for James and I to get some lunch. This evening, she's been a bit happier, I just wish she though a reasonable bedtime was 9pm rather than 1am. :)

Other than the seemingly constant fussiness, I suppose we're doing okay with the PH. She was in the same onesie until about 7pm without any major accidents.
This afternoon she had a *HUGE* poo-splosion and a good amount got on her harness. Yum. We'll be carting that around for another month.
She wet through several onesies this evening, but I have gotten decent enough at changing them, I'm down to 3 minutes flat (yes, I timed it)
I also figured out that you could put a big enough sleeper OVER the PH, so at least she can go out in public without attracting too much attention.

It's been hard on me today - I want to snuggle my girl, and she feels like a toy - her harness makes her so stiff, she isn't bendable. She doesn't mold to my body the way she used to. Cradling her is awkward and unnatural. And I'm in constant worry that I have her hips in the appropriate position.

There is definitely a learning curve on this thing - I feel like a mom with a brand new newborn - awkward and unsure of myself. Breastfeeding has been a bit more difficult with positioning. Thank goodness she's a good eater. I haven't been able to accomplish anything remotely productive today.

Today I've struggled more with anger about having to go through this. Anger at God, anger at myself, and not knowing where to turn or who to talk to. I know it will get easier. I know this is the best thing for her and will hopefully be a relatively quick fix.
I'm still having a hard time though.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like your journey was a couple years ago but ours is just beginning. Hearing your emotions is like looking in a mirror.

    ReplyDelete