our story

We welcomed our second daughter Annabelle on February 18, 2012, a week before her due date. That same day, the pediatrician felt a click in her right hip ...

... it was never felt again. An x-ray the same day showed nothing, so we weren't too concerned. We had a follow-up ultrasound when she was 6 weeks old, and it showed that *BOTH* of her hips are dislocated. (a condition called Develomental Dysplasia of the Hip or DDH)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cloth diapering with the PH, part 1

(this post contains cloth diaper lingo, and assumes a basic understanding of cloth diapers)

It's taken me a week to formulate an opinion on cloth diapers with the PH (Pavlik harness).

It's feasible, no more or less than it would be on a baby NOT in the PH. Disposables might look easier at first, but given how much disposables leak, and how difficult it is to change clothes, I'm still voting for cloth.

Annabelle is roughly 10 lbs now at two months old, and still in newborn diapers, so I'll be rating three styles of diapers in this post.
I am mainly rotating between Lil Joeys (AIOs with snaps), Bumgenius XS (AIOs with aplix) and Kissaluvs fitteds size 0 (snaps) with a Thirsties XS cover (aplix).

Lil Joey: This is my favorite newborn diaper. It's thick, and I think double gussets are ESSSENTIAL with newborn breastmilk poo. The snaps are somewhat difficult to manage to fasten with the PH, but they don't scratch her legs when manipulating them through the straps.

BG XS: This is my second favorite newborn diaper (it's worked much better on Annabelle than Charlotte, her legs are a bit chubbier). Although it doesn't have double gussets, I don't have many leaks with this diaper, since Annabelle has legs that prevent gapping. The aplix is the main issue ... when working the tabs through the PH, it's very easy to scratch her legs, so extra caution needs to be taken here. However, when comparing to the lil joey with snaps, it's no easier to fasten the tabs.

KL0/Thirsties XS: a bit of both worlds of snaps & aplix ... except you have two sets of tabs to work through the PH straps (cover & fitted). The fitted generally holds in most of the poo, if not, the double gusset on the Thirsties seems to catch it. I adore using fitteds with wool, but my wool soakers can't be used with the PH so unless you have a wrap soaker (which I think I shall work on making one), wool is out. I don't mind using this combination when the PH isn't part of the equation, but now I generally avoid having to use them just because it's more challenging.

I do own contours and prefolds, but my stash has been big enough that I haven't had to try these out, especially with the harness. However, I shall work on trying them out for the purposes of this blog. Stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment