our story

We welcomed our second daughter Annabelle on February 18, 2012, a week before her due date. That same day, the pediatrician felt a click in her right hip ...

... it was never felt again. An x-ray the same day showed nothing, so we weren't too concerned. We had a follow-up ultrasound when she was 6 weeks old, and it showed that *BOTH* of her hips are dislocated. (a condition called Develomental Dysplasia of the Hip or DDH)

Friday, May 4, 2012

So you're getting a Pavlik harness?

I'll add to this list if I figure out more things, but here's what I wish I could have had someone tell me in anticipation of our Pavlik journey:

1) Give your baby a HUGE bath the morning before Pavlik. This one I had actually figured out, so I woke up extra early that morning to give Annabelle a deep clean and snuggle. Lots of skin-to-skin that morning. I took pics. Then I dried out the baby bathtub and put it away. We won't be seeing that thing for awhile.

2) Buy some plain t-shirts to put under the harness. Gerber makes them, and don't get the kind with the side snaps. Just plain t-shirts. I found them at our local grocery store for $5 for a pack of three. I can't find them anywhere else but on Amazon. These have been VITAL for us.
Make sure you take a t-shirt with you on Pavlik day. I honestly only change out the t-shirt when it gets gross or when I give her a "sponge bath". Sometimes she's in it for two or three days at a time.
You can put a onesie under it - and I frequently do, but it's a pain to change it out when it gets damp from a leaky diaper. T-shirts are much less likely to get icky.

3) Buy some babylegs/legwarmers or cut up some old socks to put over the leg portion of the harness. We got poop on one of the legs on the first day. The stain is still there, glaring at me in all its yellow glory. I now put babylegs over the leg portion so if they get dirty, I can just swap them out. Plus they're cute, and a little less distracting than the harness.

4) If anyone bought you outfits with pants, etc... better get your thank you pictures in now. Most days I just have Annabelle knocking around in a tshirt and diaper. (We cloth diaper, so at least they're cute)

5) If you have a drooler, or a kiddo that spits up a lot, buy LOTS of bibs. That way you don't have to change out the t-shirt/onesie underneath.

1 comment:

  1. Thakn you for this :) we surprisingly got a ph yesterday and im freaking out!

    ReplyDelete