our story

We welcomed our second daughter Annabelle on February 18, 2012, a week before her due date. That same day, the pediatrician felt a click in her right hip ...

... it was never felt again. An x-ray the same day showed nothing, so we weren't too concerned. We had a follow-up ultrasound when she was 6 weeks old, and it showed that *BOTH* of her hips are dislocated. (a condition called Develomental Dysplasia of the Hip or DDH)

Monday, May 28, 2012

Torticollis

I first noticed something was different about a month ago. I noticed that it was easier to feed Annabelle on my left side, she seemed more comfortable, and was able to turn her head all the way to her right side to eat. She could basically eat lying flat on her back with her head turned. (there's actually a pic of her doing it on my breastfeeding with the PH post). On my right side, I had to modify how I held her because she wouldn't turn her head. At first, I thought it was related to the PH/RC, but it's more of a neck issue.

I didn't think much of it until I was reading up on hip dysplasia, and it said that infants with hip dysplasia can have neck problems - in fact, that's how some DDH cases are diagnosed. 'Torticollis" was the term I saw, and after looking it up, it seemed as though it fit Annabelle pretty well. I looked back through her pics from the last month, and in most of them, her head is tilted to the same side. It's the same side she favors, and cries in pain if I try to turn her head the other way.

We don't have her next well visit scheduled, but I'm going to ask Dr Olney (our orthopedic Dr) on Thursday when we return for an ultrasound.

Follow up: Dr Olney did say she has mild torticollis, but that it should resolve as she gets older. We can do stretches to encourage her to turn her head to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment